Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chapter 21 And My Reflections

Reading Notes

Reflection notes

1. “If I consent to burn them, will you promise faithfully, neither to send nor receive a letter again, nor a book (for I perceive you have sent him books), nor locks of hair, nor rings, nor playthings?” (214)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2. “You will know hereafter, darling, why I wish you to avoid his house and family; now, return to your old employments and amusements, and think no more about them!” (210)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3. “That the two cousins may fall in love, and get married. I’m acting generously to your master: his young chit has no expectations, and should she second my wishes, and she’ll be provided for at once as joint successor with Linton. If Linton died, his property would go to me;” (202)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. “What Linton!” cried Cathy, kindling into joyful surprise at the name. “Is that little Linton? He’s taller than I am! Are you Linton?” (203)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1. This quote shows how angry Nelly has gotten at little Cathy because after her father, Edgar, told her not to talk to her cousins because Heathcliff may do something bad or evil to Thrushcross Grange. I could tell that Cathy’s love was so strong and true that she couldn’t stop talking to Linton, even after her father told her to not have any communications with her cousins at Wuthering Heights. I liked Nelly’s discipline because she told Catherine either she was going to burn the love letters that Cathy had written and received from Linton or Nelly was going to tell Edgar about these love letters. Nelly showed her strictness, which I really enjoyed reading. After all Nelly got Cathy to stop writing letters because they both agreed on burning the letters. It was kind of sad to see the love letters all burn because for Cathy and Linton those letter meant so much to them emotionally, because they had true love toward each other.
  2. I love this quote because it shows how much hatred there is still pending between Edgar and Heathcliff after Catherine, little Cathy’s, mother died, and when Heathcliff married Isabella, Edgar’s sister, without really loving her because he wanted to own Thrushcross through Linton their son. Edgar explained Heathcliff’s plan to get Thrushcross to little Cathy, so he can show her how evil Mr. Heathcliff is. Edgar was so angry and annoyed just by even talking about Heathcliff to young Catherine. I can tell that Edgar just wants peace and happiness to be left forever in young Cathy and in Thrushcross Grange. This quote also shows Edgar’s love and care for Cathy so she may live in joy and not in sadness and not in sorrow like her mother.

 

  1. Oh I hate how Heathcliff just blurts out his plan to get Thrushcross. I just want to beat him up, for the way he wants to have power. He shows his evil and malicious ways and this disgusts me. Heathcliff wants to make Linton, his son, and young Cathy marry each other, because Linton will die soon from his sickness and all the land from Thrushcross will go to himself, because Edgar will also be dead. I detest Heathcliff for his malevolent plans, and his spiteful personality. Heathcliff has changed a lot from the past and now he is more evil than the devil.

 

  1. I love this quote because it shows the happiness coming from young Cathy to her favorite cousin that she misses from her childhood, Linton. I love how they both together are happy to see each other and feel close to each other. This quote for me shows the beginning of their love relationship because they finally met again and they were both very excited to see each other. Cathy couldn’t even believe how tall and handsome Linton has gotten. Cathy is now noticing Linton’s looks this shows how she is really attracted to Linton, and I believe together they feel united as a whole. The beginning of a new and true love!

 

No comments: